Friday 27 November 2009

Hopalong - Again

I sprained my ankle at the gym this morning. The one I injured last year when I got knocked off my bike. Actually, I sprained it twice this morning: clearly I didn't do a good enough job the first time. I was doing walking lunges and felt my left ankle give way, so I stopped and told Sophie what had happened last year and that my left ankle in particular is now quite weak. We did other exercises then went on to step-ups. I started out with my right leg, then when Sophie asked me to change legs, I wondered if I should say that I didn't think my left ankle was strong enough to step off the box onto the floor - particularly carrying the extra 20kg in weights Sophie had put in my hands. That's what I should have done. Instead, I thought I would give one a try and see how it felt.

Suffice to say it didn't feel good. My ankle caved underneath me, I dropped the two 10kg weights, fell backwards and landed hard on my bum. Ben was training Rob at the time and watched me go down, so the two of them came over to see if I was OK. Ben had a look at my ankle, moved it around a bit and said he thought it was probably only over-stretched, rather than torn or anything worse, and I should try to walk as normally as possible on it (i.e. not limp if I could manage it) and even do a short session on the bike tomorrow to loosen it off.

My ankle has swollen up a bit on the outside, and I'm trying my best to walk evenly, without limping, but it's proving quite difficult. It's nothing like as bad as it was last year, though, and I imagine it will be alright again within a few days to a week.

No comments: