Friday 30 April 2010

The Great Gender Debate

We went for our 20-week scan earlier today. The sonographer said everything looks great from a medical point of view - heartbeat strong, stomach working fine so digestion good, bladder working so kidneys are functioning well, etc etc - which meant we could concentrate on finding out the gender :).

I must say, people do have very strong opinions when it comes to deciding whether or not to find out the gender. Rob said the other day that it seems that people who would choose to find out if they're having a boy or a girl are respectful of others' decisions not to find out, but people who would rather wait until the birth are less likely to be as open-minded about those who choose not to wait. I certainly would agree with that assessment.

I wonder why people who've always waited until the birth to find out the gender say that it's 'better' that way? How would they know? I can certainly appreciate that it keeps you going through a long labour, but really, am I likely to be less inclined to push just because I know what it's going to be? And again, I can see that finding out and announcing a likely name before the birth makes it somewhat less exciting for others: rather than the usual 'oooh, what did they have?' 'what name have they chosen?' questions, you'll get 'oh, the baby's been born now.' But to be honest, I'm not having a baby just so that you can be excited on the day it's born. And Rob's opinion as a father is that if all you're waiting for on the day of the birth is to find out whether it's a boy or a girl, you've kind of missed the point.

A former colleague of mine had a baby last week. They knew it was going to be a girl, and they named her Emily months ago. When I found out she'd been born (2 weeks overdue and after a 3-day labour even though she was induced - well done Kirsty!), obviously there was no need for the 'what did they have?' questions, but I was still really pleased for them. I guess part of the reasoning behind my opinion on the matter could be that, without wishing to make this political or stir up a huge backlash, I don't believe that life begins on the day a child is born. The fact that one day Emily was in utero and the next day (or in this case, a few days later) she was outside the womb didn't make a whole lot of difference; she didn't suddenly become a baby girl the day she was born. She already was a baby girl, and if she had been born a day, a week, or a month earlier she would still have been a baby girl. And I'm pretty sure that Kirsty and Mark couldn't care less whether or not I approved of their decision to find out Emily's gender beforehand, and I'm equally sure that they didn't care what impact that decision had on my reaction to news of her birth.

I had a lovely message this morning from another friend who's due a week or so after me, saying they chose to find out their son's gender a couple of years ago and are really looking forward to finding out the gender of their second child next week. In her opinion, it means you can start to get to know them before they're born. I'd agree with that, but quite simply, the main impetus for our choosing to find out the gender is the fact that Rob is far too impatient to want to wait another 4.5 months... Plus we'd like to do some preparation - decorating the baby's room etc - and knowing the baby's gender makes that a whole lot easier. Although I'm quite keen on the idea of a neutral-coloured nursery, after all that!


Oh, and by the way, the sonographer said that whilst they never predict with 100% certainty because there's always someone who will sue them if they get it wrong, she's pretty sure it's a girl. Which means the discussion we put on hold last weekend will now need to be taken up again :).

9 comments:

Paul said...

Neither of us wanted to know for our two, but it wasn't a big deal, we just weren't fussed about finding out. It is surprising how passionate some people can be about it though - compared to the reality of the baby itself on the day, quite what undercarriage it's running on is a relatively minor thing to know about in advance or not.

Jenny Greenwood said...

I'm sure I should probably comment more on the debate but I'd just like to say that knowing your general decorating themes, at what point would you have considered anything but neutral colours for the room :)

p.s. very excited that I'm having a niece but would be equally excited about a nephew.

Keri Donald said...

Awe!!!! Girls are SO fun to shop for (although lately they've made it much more fun to shop for boys than it was a few years ago)! Congratulations!!!!

And, I agree... there's no way I could wait any longer than I had to to find out the gender! Aside from being able to REALLY start shopping, personally I felt like having a name and knowing the gender really made it so that you could develop a relationship with that individual child. Such an amazing time! I'm so happy for you guys!!!

Vicki said...

Congrats Sally - glad everything is going well. How funny about the debate. Here is France it is the norm to be told the sex of your child during your 20 scan (or in the case of Ruben our second, at the 12 week one!!) You almost have to gag the sonographer if you don't want to find out!! We had a surprise for number one - although from the start I was sure Josh would be a boy and we never even decided on a girl's name! For number 2 we decided to ask and unsurprisingly it made absolutely no difference to how excited we were about the baby :-) Have fun with the nursery...now if you really want to upset people you could always paint it blue....hee,hee

memento said...

Congratulations! I was very happy when my first turned out to be a girl, and judging from your previous posts, I suppose you are too. Have fun with the nursery, and getting nice baby girl clothes!

Julie Clement said...

Didn't occur to us to find out, though can understand why people do - can't believe the strength of feeling though in some of the comments on your FB page! Great news, and girls are great fun!

Unknown said...

Back in the day - when I had my two - ultrasounds were only done if a problem was suspected. I never had a single one for either of them, and so had to wait until delivery day to find out if I bought the right layette.

I have no opinion either way. On the one hand, it's like opening a present; on the other, it certainly helps with planning.

My best wishes to you both for an easy delivery and a healthy baby. You may think it hard work at the time, but - believe me - the hard work comes the next 18 years (or more!) after delivery. Enjoy every moment, because they leave the nest so soon after they arrive. And never stop loving them - after all, as Ben constantly reminds us - "I'll be picking out your nursing home one day."

Congratulations!

Jo Larcombe said...

I'm so glad you wrote this Sally... I was practically seething the other day witnessing the vocal reaction to your plans... just ask Matt! People seem to think it spoils the surprise... But it's not like Christmas and if you know what your getting your not really bothered and could take it or leave it... You having a baby! I'm sure it'll be the most amazing incredible day when you give birth and its pretty ridiculous for people to think that something as silly as knowing what sex the baby is, is somehow going to put a downer on your day! Also, if I remember correctly tou made a statement of what you were doing... You didn't ask for advice!

So exciting a girl!!!

x x x

Jill Fosness said...

As long as people don't sign Christmas cards love the so and so's including the baby's name who isn't scheduled to be born until March, I've got no problems ;)

Congatulations - again and again. ;) I can not WAIT to see Rob with a daughter!

(And I don't mean to be a total rahtard, but that LOOKS like a baby!! You're having a baby and not a little alien!)