Wednesday 27 October 2010

Ten Things I Didn't Know Before I Had A Baby

1. I'm not too proud to leave the house with no make-up on and baby sick on my clothes and in my hair.
2. The first few weeks are really not rewarding at all.
3. Mums never catch up on lost sleep - they just learn to live with less of it.
4. Poo consistency really is a legitimate conversation topic, but only with close family/other parents/health professionals/friends who know you really well and love you regardless. Don't try and talk dirty with just anyone.
5. There's no such thing as too many muslins.
6. It's not just boys who can pee directionally when having their nappy changed.
7. 'Sleep when baby sleeps' is absolutely essential but much easier said than done when there's laundry to be done, dinner to be eaten, bath time stuff and toys to clear away, milk to be expressed, bottles to be washed and sterilised, groceries to be bought...
8. When I breastfeed, my feet tingle.
9. My stomach muscles ache every time I stand up, and have done since she was born.
10. The world is a much better place after a hot shower.

2 comments:

Keri Donald said...

In my experience, girls pee on you more than boys do! :) And yes, directionally!

Your feet tingle? I never noticed that one. :)

What's a muslin? :)

I can't wait to see you in person being a mommy in action!

Julie Clement said...

Keri, I think the equivalent of a muslin, in Canada at least, is a receiving blanket.

Sal, who apart from you cares if the house is untidy, you get your groceries delivered from Sainsburys Online, and you live on cheese butties for a week? Let's face it, any visitors are going to have something else in their sights!!