Friday 24 August 2007

A Breakthrough

Yesterday I didn't have time to exercise. I had been to the gym on Wednesday evening, and I'm not so committed that I wanted to go again the following morning. I took my gym gear with me to work with the thought that I would go on the way home, but I ended up staying at work until almost 20:00 then going for dinner with the guys who are here this week for the meeting. I got home at 22:30 and went straight to bed, but I felt terrible. Really... well, the best word to describe it is 'bleurgh'. True, I'd just eaten a big meal and was going to bed on a full stomach, but I've done that plenty of times before and haven't felt like that. I put this feeling down to not having exercised, which for me was a real eye-opener; an epiphany, if you will.

Up to now I've been exercising because somewhere in my mind I know it is good for me in the long run and it will help me to be healthy and feel better long-term. But yesterday was the first day I realised that exercising actually helps me feel better in the short term, on a day-to-day basis - I feel far better in myself on the days I exercise than on the days that I don't. I sleep better too - and if I've exercised before work, rather than afterwards, I have that smug 'I've already exercised today' feeling all day...

So it was with a relatively light heart that I got out of bed this morning and went for a run. And since this revelation came to me last night, I haven't been able to get 'Breakthru' by Queen out of my head...!

1 comment:

Sarah L said...

Well done - that's fab. I alwasy used to wonder what people meant when they said they "needed" to exercise. I thought they were odd. But I have to say that I think it's just a case of re-training your body to work out what's normal. When we were students - beer, kebabs and late nights were normal. I've since spent my life reversing those years of damage. And by the sounds of it you've made it through to the other side too! Nice one! I still don't think I entirely get the whole "have to exercise" - but like you I can feel it when I haven't. And I always need a goal to work to, to keep me motivated. Hope you continue to feel good and keep up the hard work. You look fabulous in your pic by the way x