Sunday 24 June 2007

Another Sunday, Another Race

This weekend it was the turn of the City of Manchester 10km. It's a much smaller event than the well-publicised Great Manchester Run, with about 2,000 runners, and it takes place around Sportcity, the sports complex built for the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester. The route takes in the City of Manchester Stadium (Manchester City's football ground) and B of the Bang. Rick and Rob had both signed up to do the race, but then Rick arranged to visit his Mum in Scotland this weekend before realising he couldn't do both... so he ran a 10km route in Dundee while Rob ran the actual race in Manchester.

The weather was pretty perfect for running, much like last weekend, and Rob finished in a fantastic 54:39. He was aiming for under an hour, and was extremely pleased with his time. Here he is waving to us just after the start. His next goal now is a sub-50 10km.

I have run the 3km route we did last weekend twice more since then - on Tuesday I cut 15% off my original time, and yesterday I went slightly faster again. Yesterday my aim was to run all the way round (I walked for two stints the other two times) and I managed it, but I found it really hard. My next goal is to run the route a further five times without stopping to walk, then I'll look at increasing the distance.

No comments: