Tuesday 26 June 2007

Scratch that... change of moving date

Last Friday I posted that we would be moving house in a week. I then had a call from my solicitor around noon that day, saying that our vendors, the ones who have already completed on another purchase and are only staying on in the house until we need them to move out, are refusing to complete on 29 June. Something about not being able to find a removal company... Out of all the things we anticipated could go wrong in this whole process, our vendors didn't even feature in our list - the agent told us they'd have moved out long ago.

Needless to say I was not entirely happy about that, given that we'd spent most of the previous week getting ourselves into a position where we could complete this Friday so as to fit in with our buyers and their buyers. Sure, it was difficult to find a removal company for me too, and I had to ring 24 of them before one said they had availability, but I managed it in the end. Obviously our buyers weren't too pleased either, because they had done similar things to get themselves in a position to move out on 29 June, including booking a removal company and taking time off work.

Long story short, although they're not all happy about it, everyone in the chain has now agreed on a completion date of 6 July (which was my preferred date all along, so I've got back a week in Manchester and don't feel nearly so stressed about everything now). And our solicitor has just called to say that contracts have been exchanged, so there's no backing out now; everything is set!

Stupid English house-buying system... there has to be a better way.

1 comment:

Jill Fosness said...

The house-buying (or at least selling) system is not any better in the US...or that could just be me. No one even bothered to tell me when my house sold! Glad to hear everything worked out in the end, and you get another week in Manchester!