Thursday 7 June 2007

Hello, can you hear me? I'm a first aider...

I attended a 'first aid at work' course this week, taught by St John Ambulance. I passed my assessment this afternoon, so I'm now a qualified first aider in the workplace for the next three years, when I'll have to be re-tested. I wasn't exactly a willing volunteer for this - it was suggested that I was the best person for the job as I spend more time in the office than anyone else - and I wasn't entirely keen on the idea at first, but now that I've done it, I'm very glad. I'm not likely to come across many accidents in the office (everyone else on the course worked in some sort of factory, usually with heavy machinery), but it's good to know that if anything did happen, I'd be able to deal with it until an ambulance arrived. Keri posted yesterday that she and Keith had attended a 'CPR for Infants' class this week, and I agree with her that it's so helpful to know the basics, just in case. If you haven't been on a first aid course, try and get to one if you can - and if it's a first aid at work course, get your company to pay for it!

1 comment:

Keri Donald said...

Congrats! :) I'm interested to talk with you to compare the methods that we were taught. Do you do 2 breaths and 30 compressions for CPR?