Wednesday 20 June 2007

I Can See!

I had laser eye surgery yesterday afternoon. Rob was quite worried about it, whereas I wasn't worried at all. That is, until I got into the operating room... They did my right eye first, and it went really well, then when they came to do my left eye it didn't feel the same as before - I just felt pressure on my right eye, but I thought I could actually feel something happening on my left eye. I couldn't, because there was plenty of anaesthetic in there, but the fact that I thought I could made me quite anxious, so they stopped and waited for the nurse to come round and hold my hand before they carried on...

Rob went to Antwerp yesterday for SpringOne, his company's conference dedicated to its product, the Spring Framework, and associated technologies. This meant that he couldn't pick me up from my appointment so his Dad kindly agreed to come and get me. My eyes were watering a lot and, as a consequence, my nose got quite blocked and I spent the entire journey home with my eyes closed and a tissue under my nose. I had trouble opening my eyes for long enough to put my drops in, so after I'd done that I went straight to bed at 20:30, but I found it really difficult to get to sleep because I couldn't get my nose clear to breathe. Rob called me around 21:00, then my Mum called around 21:30, to see how I'd got on, and while I said I was fine, I probably didn't sound very convincing because quite honestly that period was probably the worst I'd felt - all I wanted to do was rub my stinging eyes and that's the one thing they told me not to do. I even have eye guards to wear during the night in case I rub my eyes inadvertently while I'm asleep.

I fell asleep soon after that and slept all the way through until 07:30 this morning, and I feel a million times better now. My nose is clear and my eyes have stopped stinging - they're still quite watery, but when it's not being blurred by water my vision is great! I've got a follow-up appointment this afternoon to check that everything's OK, then I'll have another one next week, then check-ups at one month, three months and six months. I'll be in Southampton soon so I'll have to go to a different clinic for the last three appointments. I'm not supposed to look at the computer screen for too long so had better post this now!

UPDATE 19:50 - My eyes stopped watering around noon and at my follow-up appointment this afternoon they said my vision was great, I was fine to start driving again and everything is healing nicely. Yeah!

1 comment:

Keri Donald said...

I'm so jealous! I can't wait to get that done! That was one thing that I was planning to do after I finished breastfeeding Belle, but then Corgan came along and I guess it'll be fall 2008 before I can get that done.
I can't imagine waking up in the morning and being able to see the alarm clock and TV without putting on glasses! Glad to hear it went so well for you!