Thursday 11 October 2007

Soooo Relaxed...

OK, they have a business centre here so I couldn't resist a quick post. Despite the fact that it was almost a direct flight - we touched down in the Bahamas to let some people off - we still spent the best part of 12 hours on the plane. The resort was a 15-minute ride from the airport, and it's really beautiful. Within 10 minutes of arriving at the resort I managed to get three mosquito bites, but I guess that was to be expected - they always seem to have a thing for me. I did OK for the next three days but then yesterday, despite being slathered in insect repellent, I got five more bites. Still, it's a small price to pay for such a lovely place. Our room partly overlooks the pool and partly the beach, which has the softest white sand I've ever walked on, even softer than in the Maldives.

Our days so far have consisted of a gym session around 07:30, then back to the room for a shower, then breakfast, then reading by the pool, then lunch, then more reading, maybe a nap, then shower and change for dinner. I decided a few weeks ago that it was just too much work getting a tan - it's too tortuous, lying there all day, feeling like I'm going to melt, then it only lasts about 2 weeks after I get home - so while I'm not exactly avoiding the sun, equally I'm not worried about catching every ray and coming home browner than I've ever been. Which is just as well, because the last couple of days were quite overcast, yesterday in particular. This morning there was quite a heavy downpour and the sky has been quite bright and clear since then, and I've definitely got more colour.

There is a spa here (an essential for us when booking a holiday) and it's fantastic - facial yesterday, and on Saturday something called 'Little Drops of Caribbean Rain', where they drip aromatherapy oil along your spine... Food is excellent - there's just one 'proper' restaurant at our resort, plus a poolside one serving burgers and salads etc, but the resort is one of a load along the beachfront and we've eaten at a couple of neighbouring restaurants so far. Our favourite is Hemingways at the Sands resort, which is 10 minutes' walk up the beach - the food is great and it's also quite a bit cheaper than the other restaurants we've tried so far, so I'm sure we'll be going back there soon. We're going to try Orchid tonight, which is at the Alexandria, next door to our resort.

This morning we went kayaking in the sea, which was good fun, and yesterday we practised a bit more of the croquet that we'd learned when we went away for the weekend in August. Rob won, again - I just don't have the whole pivot action thing right yet.

I've taken some pictures, but I don't have my cable to download them to a computer so they'll have to wait till I get back. If I've got any news, I'll post again next week. But then again, I might be so relaxed by then that I'm unable to peel myself off my sunlounger... :)

3 comments:

Julia said...

Sounds lovely! Don't work too hard! Good idea not to chase a suntan, by the way. Stay pale and interesting, and above all stay
comfortable - I'm all for that!

Jenny said...

slathered - there's a word you don't hear very often...

Sarah L said...

spa - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh