Sunday 13 January 2008

It's STILL not finished, but...

... at this rate I'll have long given up on this blog by the time it is, so I've decided to post a picture of the en-suite bathroom now. It's not like we can't use it; we're really pleased with what's been done so far and it does function perfectly well. There are just some finishing touches left to do: the electrician needs to fit spotlights into the ceiling and fix the shaving mirror to the wall, but we've hit a snag with that and without boring you senseless, it doesn't look like it's going to get resolved any time soon.

So here it is, and as I said we're very pleased with it. The shower is great, although you can't see it on the picture - it's set back on the right. We've got double doors on the front of the shower, so they don't come out so far into the room as the old single door and it feels more spacious. Which is great, because even as en-suite bathrooms go, ours is quite small...

What I actually wanted to show you, though, was this, which must have been done before Christmas but which we didn't notice until yesterday morning when we cleared out the contents of the smallest bedroom (Rob's office) to decorate it in preparation for the furniture being delivered and fitted this week. It's quite difficult to get a sense of scale, but what you're looking at are two screws protruding about an inch through the wall in the office, the other side of which corresponds exactly to where the radiator has been fixed to the wall in the en-suite. Now the wall separating the en-suite from the office is at least 3 inches thick, so I dread to think what size screws they've used - the radiator isn't even mounted on the wall; it sits on the ground at the bottom so the top screws only serve to hold it in place a bit better.

We called the bathroom company as soon as we noticed, but of course Tony the project manager doesn't work on a Saturday, so Rob left a strongly worded message asking him to ensure that his first phone call on Monday morning would be to us. I was going to say I can't believe they've done it, but all things considered - it was an 8-day job that was originally due to start on 19 November and next weekend will be 19 January, plus they've had our money since the end of October so there's no incentive for them to do a good job or finish on time - I'm actually not all that surprised. We'll wait and see what Tony has to say for himself tomorrow - probably a whole lot of waffle, which is his usual answer to any question I ask him. I got so sick of it on Friday that I banged the receiver on my desk a few times while on the phone to him, then told him to call me back when I was less angry at him.

The good news, though, is that we did get the office painted - we did two coats of pale blue on the walls yesterday then painted the door frame, door and skirting boards white this morning. I'll work from home on Friday so I can be here for when Peter comes and fits the office furniture - assuming, of course, that there are no screws poking through the wall by then...

UPDATE MONDAY 19:00: Tony didn't call back. All day.

1 comment:

Keri Donald said...

Wow... I can't believe the screws! Your bathroom looks great though!