Monday 7 January 2008

A Veggie's Life for Me

Rob and I are vegetarian from today. That is to say, Rob is going veggie; I'm going back to being veggie. I was vegetarian just before and during university but gave it up when I had to start cooking for a meat-eater; it was just too much work to make two separate meals. This time it was Rob's idea - I had never expected him to suggest it, I have to admit - so I said I was happy to go back to being vegetarian if he wanted to do it. We don't actually eat vast amounts of meat anyway - we hardly ever eat red meat at home, and usually just have chicken - but I'll miss tuna and, on the rare occasion we have it, a lovely fillet steak. We've got loads of really great-looking vegetarian recipes, though, and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

We're mainly doing it for the health benefits, although all the reasons I had for being a vegetarian last time round are still valid: it takes twice the amount of land to feed a meat-eater than a vegetarian; millions of acres of forest are cut down every year for grazing cows, which turns to wasteland once the grass has been eaten; then there's the huge international problem of over-fishing...

We're still eating dairy products - we're not that committed :). Plus Rob has decided to go tee-total. I hardly ever drink, but I would still like the option if the occasion presents itself, so I'm not going with him on this one.

1 comment: