Saturday 20 December 2008

Early-Onset Dementia Strikes Again

I pride myself on my long-term memory: names, dates, facts and figures, birthdays, anniversaries and so on; plus I'm definitely more of a help than a hinderance on a pub quiz team, even if I do say so myself. But ask me where I left my keys and I've got no idea. I am SO forgetful when it comes to short-term stuff like remembering to make an appointment at the hairdressers, or to take my lunch into work, or even what it was I went upstairs for.

Case in point: The hotel we are going to for Christmas is having a relatively formal dinner on Tuesday evening and I have bought a beautiful LBD to wear (photo to follow, probably - providing I remember to take my camera), so Rob decided he would take his new suit. Except I took it to the dry cleaners inside Sainsbury's about a month ago and forgot to pick it up. It wasn't until he mentioned he wanted to take his suit that I got that awful sinking feeling, realising that the drop-off receipt was still in my wallet.

I'm so annoyed with myself. Rob has been very forgiving and told me it doesn't matter and he will just wear something else, but I still feel so stupid - I was only at Sainsbury's this evening, I could have picked it up; but by the time I remembered, it had closed, and we're leaving early tomorrow morning.

I think I'm going to have to carry a notebook around with me all the time, to write things down as I think of them, then cross them off the list when they're done.

Going up to Manchester tomorrow morning - I don't think the weather or the traffic will be anything like as bad as it was this time last year - to stay with Rob's parents for two nights, then four nights in the Lake District, then three nights at my parents' place, returning home in time for New Year.

One of my orders from Amazon didn't turn up in time, despite the fact that the delivery estimate was last Thursday. Sorry Jen, you'll have to wait till the next time I see you for that present!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey,

get a nice little moleskine notebook with a good pen (not just a cheap Bic, one that you carry for life) and you'll at least have that dementia strike in style :-). Big benefit: you'll always have some with you to sribble on. Works for me...

And you probably always have a little bag with you, so I guess there's a place to put it.