Wednesday 21 January 2009

Porridge

There are certain foods that sporty people always eat - like bananas, nuts (in moderation) and porridge. I can't stand any of these. But I really like the idea of eating porridge - keeps you going all morning etc etc - so this week I've set out to start liking it. I figure if it was the only food left in the world, I would grow to like it out of necessity, right?

Well, that may be the case, but as long as I know there are Corn Flakes in the cupboard I don't think I'll ever be able to stomach porridge. I've made some for breakfast every day so far this week, and each time I've thrown loads of honey all over it in an effort to make it taste better, but I only get a few mouthfuls in before I give up and admit to myself that this is what it must feel like to eat vomit. It's not so much the taste as it is the texture...

I'll stick at it until the end of the week but unless things get significantly better I'll just have to give this one up as a dead loss. Maybe I'll try to like bananas instead.

9 comments:

Keri Donald said...

Porridge is different from oatmeal; right? I think that's the sporty-person's food in the States. Much better consistency, depending on how you prepare it. :)

Julia said...

If you think that's bad try eating rice pudding - says Dad !

Sally said...

Mum - I know!! Rice, in a pudding??? It's just wrong...

Unknown said...

Try mixing some of the cornflakes in with the porridge, texture problem solved! I used to do this with Ready Brek when I was little. I have no idea if that was the crazy tastes of a kid, or if it actually tastes nice though!

Rob Harrop said...

Porridge and rice pudding are brilliant. Perhaps they're just too sophisticated for your palate?

Nikki said...

Put down the porridge! You can be sporty without it!

memento said...

porridge (if it is what I think it is - is it made from oat?) just requires a royal quantity of brown sugar to taste good. The same goes for rice pudding by the way.

Bev said...

Uncle George would be very proud that you're at least trying it which is more than I've ever done. I can't believe you never had any at Whitley Bay with Uncle George.

Jenny Greenwood said...

what is this with my family? Porridge and rice pudding are both good!