Sunday 8 March 2009

Two-Twenny-Tree Toidy Toid Tweet

No, I haven't gone crazy - apparently that's how all self-respecting Chicago mobsters in the 1920s would have pronounced 223 33rd Street. Possibly also with a hint of South Yorkshire thrown in, or so our host at Catherine's 20s-themed murder mystery hen night would have us believe...

I drove up to Manchester yesterday for the hen night, which consisted of a murder mystery evening then a trip to the Birdcage. I was a bit apprehensive because the only other person I would know was Catherine, the bride, but as it turns out, there were quite a few other girls there who only knew Catherine too, so we all had a great time getting to know each other and they were all really friendly. A few of them I only remember by their murder mystery names, though...

I was playing the part of Millie, the roving reporter and personal friend of Al Capone, who's been 'moidad'. Turns out I didn't do the moidering, although when we all had to say who we thought did it at the end, we were all just guessing as it could have been any of us, judging by the clues we were given. Afterwards we went on to the Birdcage, which I really enjoyed, much more than I thought I would. Every 40 minutes or so they clear the dancefloor and a live act performs for 5 or 10 minutes, which breaks up the night very nicely. I even managed to make it to the end of the night!

I had a room booked at an apartment block right across the road from the Birdcage - which was a good job because my feet were killing me and I couldn't have walked far :). It was great to see Catherine again and I'm looking forward to seeing all the girls at Catherine and Ben's wedding in 6 weeks' time.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Birdcage is always full of hen partys!

Sally said...

Drew: I know! There were loads of hen parties there, and Catherine mentioned that she was glad we only made her dress up in 1920s, rather than the barely-clad pirates or sailors or anything else we saw...