Sunday 9 March 2008

I did it!

My running worst nightmare almost came true - I was almost the last person to cross the finish line. But even if I had been, I wouldn't have cared; I was just pleased to have done it. The weather was great - it had rained all night, but it was sunny all the way through the race, even a bit too hot, then 25 minutes after I finished, as we were on the way home, it started pouring down. Perfect timing.

The course wasn't exactly what I would call 'flat' - although that's how it was billed - but it wasn't too bad; more undulating than hilly. The route took us along to the shore and back again - we ran on the shingle on the beach for about half a mile - and the sea air smelled fantastic. I got a stitch very early on so I used Keri and Chelsi's advice for keeping it at bay. From about 5.5k to the end I ran with a lady called Aileen, whose friend was supposed to run the race too but pulled out last night as she wasn't well. Here we are just about the cross the finish line. I really am still running at this point; Rob just managed to catch me while I look like I'm walking.

I finished in 1:13:38 - which is never going to break any records, but was more or less what I was expecting, and is something to aim for next time. Am I seriously talking about next time already??!! Actually I've been trying to persuade Ben to do the Sport Relief Mile with me next Sunday in Southampton, but he's not keen...

Rob, Ben, Adrian, Rebecca and Elliott came to cheer me and Sara on (she finished in 1:02 - well done Sara!). While they were waiting for us to finish, Rob was telling Elliott about the Kung Fu classes he started a few weeks ago, and Elliott showed Rob some moves of his own...

4 comments:

Keri Donald said...

Yea Sally! I'm so proud of you!!!!

Jill Fosness said...

Yay! Congratulations! That is so awesome!

Nikki said...

That's awesome! Go Sally!!

Chelsi said...

I was hoping to see good news on this today - congrats on completing your goal!! Your time was great for your first 10K, too... way to go!