Wednesday 27 August 2008

Oh What a Night

Clare called me on Sunday to say that her sister, who works at the theatre in London where Jersey Boys is currently playing, had got two free tickets for top-price seats at yesterday's performance of the show, which has just been nominated for three Olivier awards. So the two of us went up to London after work yesterday - as you do - to see it. This is one of the things I love about living in Southampton: it only takes 2 hours to get from my front door to the door of any West End theatre.

I hadn't heard of the show before a couple of months ago - the production would certainly benefit from better marketing, as everyone should know about this show, and should then go and see it. It's the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, and each of the four main members of the band - first Tommy then Bob in the first half, then Nick and finally Frankie in the second half - takes a turn in telling the band's story.

The staging was quite sparse - just a balcony above the stage along the back with a set of stairs at either end, a couple of big screens that were lowered into position and portable staging like tables, chairs etc - but they made really good use of it. There was too much swearing for my liking, but it certainly wouldn't put me off seeing the show again.

I had a quick look at the song list before I went and realised that beyond the couple of songs I knew were performed by the Four Seasons - December 1963 (Oh What a Night), Big Girls Don't Cry, Working My Way Back to You - there were also loads more songs that I didn't know were originally Four Seasons songs, like Bye Bye Baby, Who Loves You and Can't Take My Eyes Off You, which is probably more famous (at least in the UK) as an Andy Williams song. I was also introduced to a song I hadn't heard before, although it was very successful at the time it was released in the mid-seventies: My Eyes Adored You, which I haven't stopped singing since last night.

I would definitely recommend this show - it deserves to win the awards it's been nominated for. We were all on our feet and singing along by the end of the show!

No comments: