Sunday 17 August 2008

Jen's Birthday Weekend: Part II

Happy 30th, Little Jen! To commemorate the occasion, Mum put together a couple of galleries of photographs of the past 30 years - there was only supposed to be one gallery, but there were too many good pictures...



A couple of my favourites are the top right on the first picture - we were both given nurses' uniforms for Christmas 1980 - and the fourth one along on the bottom row of the second picture - yes, that's me wearing brown dungarees with an owl sewn on the front. That picture is actually my first memory, and probably my only one until around the time I started school.

Dad cooked a barbecue for about 18 people yesterday, and it was delicious. Or so they tell me - being vegetarian, I didn't get to find out. The rain mostly held off all day until about 21:00, and by that time it was starting to get dark so people made their way into the house anyway. Everyone had left by around midnight, then we cleared up for an hour or so, checked out the initial stages of the women's Olympic marathon, then realised there was no way we were going to stay up another 2 hours to see the end so went to bed...

Today Charlie, Matthew and Abi came round - they were here yesterday for the barbecue and were staying just round the corner - to help us eat up the vast amounts of leftovers from yesterday evening. Here's Abi doing her bit to finish off some of the drink. She put her own t-shirt on this morning and Charlie couldn't persuade her to take it off and put it back on the right way round.

We spent all of this afternoon just relaxing in front of the Olympics, which was great as the rest of the weekend had been quite hectic. Mum & Dad left around 18:30 and soon after that Jen took me back to Leeds Bradford airport for my flight back to Southampton. The flight left early and only took 40 of the 65 minutes it was due to take, so I was home by 21:15. Much better than 5 hours of driving!

The birthday doesn't end there, though - for her present I'm taking Jen to see Joseph, Spamalot and Hairspray in London in a few weeks' time.

No comments: