Thursday 14 August 2008

Operation Wedding Dress Gets Underway

I went for my first personal trainer session this morning with Ben, who did my 3 free PT sessions last year. This time I have to pay for them - or, more correctly, Rob has to pay for them. He offered to buy them for me as a push to help me lose the weight I want before the wedding.

Ben put me through my paces this morning, knowing it would be tough, but just to see how I did - and the answer was not very well. I feel like I need a bit of accountability so I'm going to post my times here - I warn you, they're not good. I did a warm-up of 12 minutes on the cross-trainer, then 4k at quite a high cadence on the bike (8:58), then 1k on the treadmill (7:21, quite disappointed as I had to walk for a while but my foot still isn't totally happy with the motion of running) and 1k on the rowing machine (just under 6:00), then as many crunches with legs crossed off the ground as I could manage in one go (60, quite pleased with that), then 3/4 press-ups (10, very poor, but never done them before), squats (30) and clean & press (19 - thought I had reached 20 but mis-counted!).

Ben recently trained a girl called Jo, who wanted to get in shape for her wedding, and not only did she drop 2 dress sizes, she also got a lot fitter, which is what I want to do, so he's going to do a programme for me that's similar to hers. She only did three sessions a week - one circuits, one boxing and one cardio - but she got her nutrition right and was able to reach her goal without exercise taking over her life. Sign me up!

BTW If you were expecting a post about looking for a wedding dress, sorry about that. But Jen and I will be starting the search in a couple of weeks so I'll post about how it goes.

4 comments:

Keri Donald said...

At this point it doesn't matter what your times and endurance are... it just matters that you did it! :)

Also, be careful on your ankle. If I were you, I'd consider holding off on the treadmill at the very least if your ankle is bothering you at all.

Can't wait to hear more about the wedding dress and operation wedding dress too!

Julia said...

It all sounds like Greek to me, having never darkened the doors of a gym, not to say hard work!

Just make sure that you're not too exhausted to walk down the aisle!!

I'm with Keri on the ankle - please take care. A limp will be more noticeable than half an inch on the hips!

Jill Fosness said...

I think getting started is a big accompishment all in itself. It's going to be AMAZING when you look back at those numbers in a few weeks, months, etc.

And I'll agree with both previous posters: Take care of that ankle!!!

Nikki said...

It's all so exciting! I really enjoyed getting in shape before my wedding.. and it sounds like you're enjoying it too. Good luck!!