Tuesday 5 July 2011

A Year in Pictures: Week 26

Saturday 25 June


We went into Cambridge today and had lunch at Jamie's Italian. It was nice. Not excellent, as you might expect a Jamie Oliver restaurant to be, but nice all the same.


Sunday 26 June


I love this picture of Jon and Daisy reading the papers. Caption competition, anyone?


Monday 27 June


My two favourite girls in the world, both looking beautiful.


Tuesday 28 June


As we are child-free all week, we've made the most of it and are seeing one or two shows/concerts. Tonight was the turn of Glee Live, which kind of played a part in getting Jon and me together. Here we are waiting for the show to start. It was really good, and I wasn't the oldest there, not by a long way. I was expecting there to be thousands of teenage girls and us, but there were actually just as many over-25s as under-25s, if not more. You can't see it in the picture but I'm wearing my William McKinley High School cheerleading top (it's actually the top half of the pyjamas that Jon got me for Valentine's day;)). Excuse my hair, by the way; I had a mobile hairdresser come round last week and I asked her to cut me in a 'growing out'-style fringe I could sweep across to the side. She cut it way too short and I'm still trying to work out what to do with it for the best until it grows a bit longer...


Wednesday 29 June


No show today, but we did go for lunch in this beautiful building, which happens to be a Michelin-starred restaurant called Paris House. The food was delicious, and really reasonable at £30 for three courses. We both had profiteroles for dessert, which were served with salted caramel and were the best I've ever tasted - and I've tasted a lot. We spent the afternoon visiting the house we've bought in Milton Keynes and watching X-Men: First Class at the cinema. A great day.


Thursday 30 June


The second show of the week was Take That at Wembley Stadium. Jon booked tickets before we got together, but he found himself with a spare ticket, so I took it, then another person in his group couldn't make it so I asked the lovely Clare to come with (sorry again, Jen). It was a great concert, particularly as I'm not a huge Take That fan - I don't dislike them, but I haven't ever bought any of their albums - but just as great was seeing Clare, who I used to see at least once a week and who I haven't seen for two months, since I moved up to St Neots. She said she missed me and I cried ;). Anyway, here are Take That singing my favourite of their songs, The Flood, on stage at Wembley. On the big screen is Robbie; he and the rest of the band are standing on the silver rigging below the huge statue on the right of the picture.


Friday 1 July


We went to see Betty Blue Eyes tonight, a musical based on the 1984 film A Private Function which starred Maggie Smith and Michael Palin, among others. It was very good - a bit too farcical for my liking; I like my musicals to have a bit more substance, but definitely value for money. During the day we spent a good three hours looking round St Paul's Cathedral, somewhere I've never been, despite having been to London dozens of times in my life. The entrance fee was £14.50, which I thought was a bit steep, but it was well worth it as the audio tour which was included in the price was excellent. And the audio tour headsets were iPods - hope they got a deal from Apple ;). However, given that photos are not allowed anywhere in St Paul's and it's difficult to take a picture of the outside as you can't stand far enough back, here's a picture I took while walking there this morning. It's of the famous 30 St Mary Axe, or 'The Gherkin', as it's more affectionately known, and I think it's beautiful. Maybe I missed my calling and should have been an architect...

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I'm amazed, we went to see Betty Blue Eyes this week and thought it was rubbish! (Maybe we were too young?!) Couldn't get over the singing Betty in her pink throne at the end!
(But otherwise, I love your photos, and your life! I saw Glee as well last week)