Tuesday 15 May 2007

G'Day Mate & Ciao Amico!

Natalie, my housemate from university, went to Australia in 2003 with a backpacker's visa and a 12-month open return flight ticket. But then she got a job, a work visa, a flat and a boyfriend and has been there ever since... She does come back from time to time for a visit, although when she does, I'm usually in Manchester and most of her family and friends are in the South East, so I haven't seen her since October 2001. This time, however, she and I were both in London at the same time, so we met up for a drink last night - and of all the bars in London she could have picked, she chose one that was 5 minutes' walk from my hotel, so it was really easy to get to. It was great to catch up with her again - she looks exactly the same, hasn't changed a bit; except she says she has more grey hairs than she used to :) - and she even said she was thinking of moving back to the UK, if she can persuade Brendan to come with her.

Even more weird than seeing Natalie after nearly 6 years, though, was seeing Sean, a guy I made friends with when we were both living in Florence - I was on my year abroad from university and he was taking a gap year before starting uni. We both went to Italian language lessons at the University for Foreigners, then at the end of the year I went back to uni in Hull and he started uni in London. I hadn't seen him for over 8 years, and there he was, sitting at the next table! He said he never goes into that pub during the week and he was only there because his friend from Sweden was in London for a couple of days, so they met up there as it was about half-distance for them both to travel. We talked for a few minutes and he told me to look him up on Facebook, which is apparently what all the kids are using these days, so I will... What are the chances??!!

1 comment:

Julia said...

How embarrassing that I posted a comment with a TYPING ERROR in! I'll never live that one down... so I've deleted it.
I was going to say: What great photos, and what a coincidence to meet up with Sean again. You obviously haven't aged at all since you were in Florence!