Monday 7 May 2007

I do...

Last Saturday we went to the wedding of Helen, a friend of mine from a former workplace, and her boyfriend of 5 years, David. It was held at a golf club outside Wigan and was a really lovely day. The invitation we received was the nicest I've ever seen - a box containing a scroll - and it turned out Dave's Mum made them all by hand. She also made the table decorations, orders of service (also scrolls in the same style, tied with ribbon), favours (scented candles for the girls, individual whisky bottles for the boys, wrapped in gold organza) and even the cake. Helen looked fantastic, and Sam, their 10-month-old who has managed to be missing from all the photos I took, was dressed the same as his dad, which looked very cute indeed. She had a fairly small wedding - about 50 people - and decided not to have any bridesmaids, but she asked me to sign the register, which I was very pleased to do. Not that I did a good job of it... I know, how can you screw up signing your own name, right? Well, when the register was opened out to the page where the marriage was recorded, the page I had to write on was about 2cm higher than the table it was sitting on, and I had to sign right at the bottom of the page so there was nothing to rest my wrist on. Plus the pen I had to use was a fountain pen, and the first stroke I made on the page, no ink came out, so I had to try again. In the end, it looked like a 5-year-old had written it, but never mind... We had a really good day; the weather was great, and I spent a lot of time getting my outfit right so I'm glad it all came together in the end. And I was perfectly colour co-ordinated with the bride!

2 comments:

Keri Donald said...

Don't freak me out with a title like that unless it's about you and Rob! :)

That does sound like a beautiful wedding though. Great story about your signing of the register.

Keri Donald said...

Also... that dress looks beautiful on you!