Friday 20 June 2008

Mission Accomplished

I got in the driver's seat of my car yesterday and tried pressing down on the clutch, expecting that it would still be too painful for me to start driving, seeing as I'm still limping quite badly. Wrong! I can drive!

I'm not using the clutch the way I normally do - I keep everything below the knee in the same position and the movement on and off the pedal comes from my hip - but at least I can get out of the house on my own! So I achieved my aim of being able to drive by the end of the week. However, Rob said this morning that going to the supermarket and back was one thing, but he wasn't sure about me going on the motorway, so he drove me into the office today. I'll be driving myself from Monday.

I'm making headway on the brain training as well - today my brain age was 29, 2 years younger than I am. The first time I turn it on each day, before the actual brain training exercises start, it asks me to draw three things because drawing from memory wakes up the brain. So far I've drawn things like a fire extinguisher, a tap (faucet for you yanks), an eel etc. Today I had to do a collie, a bulldog and an armadillo - they were all so bad I was crying with laughter. But yesterday was the worst - I had the Mona Lisa, Rodin's 'The Thinker', and one more that was clearly so awful I must have blotted it out of my memory. I wish I had taken pictures of them (the DS doesn't keep them) - my Thinker looked more like Quasimodo!

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Congrats on the driving, Sally. Great news! That brain game sounds like a lot of fun. What a good idea to pass the time. :)

Jenny Greenwood said...

well done for being able to drive again xx

SiouxGeonz said...

I"m just stumbling around and found this... you *might* want to let somebody know that the intersection you went through doesn't have a long enough yellow (or green) - unless the lady should be charged with anticipating the green.
Year or so ago in Richmond VA the exact same thing happened to a lady only worse... she splatted on the cop car that accelerated at the green - and the gov'ment *billed her* for the Hazmat cleanup of the car. (Yes, she fought it and won and they weren't happy with how they looked in blogville...)
... but were the cops involved in your accident? If not then nobody will know that's a dangerous intersection.
(and feel free to just call me names and delete this and focus on getting back on your feet - glad you're back on your wheels at least!)