Thursday 9 October 2008

Got My Wheels Back

I've been (almost) without a car for a month. My road tax ran out at the end of August, and the DVLA sends you a letter notifying you that your tax is about to run out, then you take that letter, along with your V5 (registration of ownership) form, MOT certificate and insurance certificate, to the Post Office and buy a new tax disc to display in your front windscreen. I didn't receive the letter this year, because the DVLA still thought that my car was registered to Rob at our old address (last year we had mail forwarding for 6 months after we moved, so that time the letter was re-directed to our new house). It wasn't until a couple of days before the end of August that I realised that not only would I not receive the reminder letter, I couldn't actually find the V5 in any case, although I did have my MOT certificate and insurance certificate. So I applied for a new V5 using the application form that people use when they've acquired a car but the previous owner didn't pass on the V5.

The DVLA's website said it would take up to 4 weeks to process my application for a new V5, and 'if your car tax runs out during that period, do not drive it'. Given that my tax had already run out by the time I sent my application form off, the bit about not driving definitely applied to me. The first week was fine as I was in Austria, but since then I've had to rely on Rob to take me everywhere.

I finally got my V5 through the post last Thursday, so I planned to go to the Post Office on Saturday with all my documents. But of course, when it came round to Saturday, I couldn't remember where I'd put my MOT and insurance certificates...

I spent much of the weekend looking for them, but when it got to Monday and I still hadn't found them, I had to call my insurance company to ask them to send a new policy certificate, and I had to go back to the garage where I had my MOT done and pay £10 (and wait half an hour) for a copy certificate.

So despite the fact that I have saved money by not having to fill the tank up for ages, I am nevertheless pleased to say that I got my car tax this morning and I am now legally allowed on the road again. I wonder where I might go with my new-found freedom? Probably to Sainsbury's. Woo hoo.

1 comment:

memento said...

*sigh* Two and a half more months to go for me...
I am sure it feels good to be able to drive again!