Thursday 15 November 2007

Freezing Fingers and a Runny Nose

To say that I live in the UK and we're now well into November (not to mention the fact that swathes of the country were flooded this summer), in the five months that I've included road running in my exercise schedule I've never once run in the rain. In fact the weather has generally been very good: because we didn't really have a summer this year (apart from the gorgeous few weeks in April and May before I started running), it was never too warm, which is great for running. It was a beautiful bright and sunny morning today, as well, but blimey was it COLD! After I'd had to de-ice the car before I left home, I was in two minds whether to run or go to the gym because I didn't have a long-sleeved top on, and I only decided at the last minute to take the risk and go running.

By the time I'd finished, I didn't feel cold at all, which makes me wonder whether I should just suck it up and be cold for the first 10 minutes. If I wear something with sleeves, will I get so warm that I'll need to take it off half-way round and tie it round my waist? I think I'll definitely invest in some gloves, though - my fingers never really defrosted until after I got inside again. I also need to take a tissue with me next time!

2 comments:

Jill Fosness said...

Your post inspired me this morning - I got my lazy bum out of bed and out into the cold-cold-cold air of the Pacific Northwest for some MUCH needed exercise before work. I opted for a long-sleeve shirt (over a t-shirt) but I never got warm enough to take it off...

But I was especially thankful for your advice on taking a tissue! :)

Sarah L said...

Defo gloves - they're mandatory! Depends on what you're doing with your run. If you're having a nice slow plod and nothing too energetic the go with long sleeves. If you're going to push yourself and go hard, then short sleeves - but personal preference wins hands down - give them both a try :-)