Thursday 29 November 2007

Contractors... Grrrrr

Work was due to start on our en-suite bathroom last Monday. A letter arrived from the contractors at the end of last week, saying that two of their fitters had had accidents, which had delayed the jobs they were on, and they wouldn't be able to start work on ours until today. So this morning we cleared out the en-suite of all toiletries etc and I took a couple of 'before' photographs and waited for the fitter to arrive.

Other than the letter telling us about the delay, we hadn't had any communication from the contractors for at least a month, but I thought when we placed the order and paid our deposit that they had said the fitter would turn up between 08:00 and 09:00. I was just about to call them at 09:00 to find out where he was, when the phone rang. It was the contractor, telling me the fitter assigned to our job went home sick yesterday and is still not back in today. He said he'd left me a voicemail yesterday afternoon, which I found interesting because we don't have an answer machine on our home phone.

He rang back this afternoon to say that a fitter would be here on Monday - a week later than planned. This isn't all bad, I suppose, because the job is estimated to take a couple of weeks, and we'll be in Florida for the second week, so hopefully (and given the story so far, it's a big ask) we will return home to a new bathroom and won't have had to live with the mess for a week.

We'll see.

3 comments:

Sarah L said...

Bliddy contractors! Still - at least you've got Florida to look forward to! :-)

Unknown said...

Interesting. I thought you were talking about employees when I saw the headline:)

Julia said...

How come it's going to take 2 weeks? Frank fitted our cloakroom units in 6 hours, with a bit of help from Dad, including taking out the old units! I know we didn't have a shower to do as well, but 2 weeks???