Monday 19 November 2007

Treadclimber = Really Hard Work!

I decided to go on the treadclimber this morning for the first time. There are 4 of them in the new gym, and I hadn't seen them at any other gyms I've been to before. It's like a treadmill except the conveyor is split into two, one for each foot. The treadles are angled upwards at one of three settings, and the weight of you striding forwards pushes them down, then they rise back up again in time for your next step. Andy at work told me it's supposed to give you twice the workout in the same amount of time as the treadmill, so I thought I would give it a go.

I selected the pre-programmed Treadclimber workout rather than a manual one, which was basically a 20-minute introduction to the machine. When I saw that it was only 20 minutes I thought I would probably do the programme again when it finished. By the time I got to 19 minutes, however, and the display asked me if I wanted to go for longer, I had definitely changed my mind! It really is twice the workout - I don't really understand why, but I'm glad it works!

4 comments:

Jill Fosness said...

Haha! I had the EXACT same thought when I found myself faced with one of those! I was walking/jogging on the treadmill 5 days a week, so I was feeling pretty confident and decided to give the treadclimber a go...OH MY GOD! It kicked my bum! (It does get easier, I promise!)

Good for you! You're going to look amazing in Florida! Can't wait to see you!

Julia said...

The little "I'm getting fit on Traineo" box underneath your photo at the top of the blog - surely the 14lbs should have gone down by now, after all this effort? Have you just forgotten to change the number?

Sally said...

This comment will respond to both your comments above, Mum and Jill - the exercise I'm doing is only really serving to off-set the food I'm eating :). I'm really not that virtuous; I'll look just the same when you see me in a few weeks, Jill. And if anything, I'm gaining weight, not losing it, because muscle weighs more than fat. Plus I haven't updated my Traineo profile for months, which explains why the figure hasn't changed at all... :)

Sarah L said...

Sounds like a top machine! :-)