Thursday 1 November 2007

My First 5k

Well, I made it out of bed this morning, put my running gear on and was out of the house by 07:00. My normal route starts from the back of our house and goes into Hedge End village, then I run past the road at the front of the house at around the 2.5km mark. Up to now I have always run past our house at that point and followed the road round to the back again, finishing where I've started, and making a detour into the estate on the way if I want to make the run a bit longer - the basic route starting and finishing at the back of the house is 3.5km; running round the estate makes it 4km.

This morning, however, I decided at around the 2km mark that when I got to the 2.5km point in front of the house, I would turn round and go back the way I'd come, making today the first time I'd ever run 5km. I posted an appalling time - 36:11 - but quite honestly most of the damage was done in the first half, not the second; I couldn't get my legs to go any faster. I don't have a super-duper GPS stopwatch thingy, just a regular one, but I'm fairly sure I was at the half-way point (right outside my front door; it was difficult resisting the urge just to stop and go inside) at around 19 minutes, so I actually did a faster second half than first.

I know 5km isn't exactly far - I bet Sarah wouldn't even have been out of breath at that point - but I've spent the best part of 30 years being relatively inactive, so I'm pleased that I was able to do it. And I have a fairly easy target time to beat next time!

1 comment:

Sarah L said...

Hiya Sally - I'm catching up on blogs today! The most improtant thing is that you didn't give up - you carried on going! That's a brilliant run and you should be pleased with yourself. 3 years ago I remember watching the Race For Life 5km round Hyde Park and it didn't even cross my midn that I could do it - I couldn't even run to the end of my road! xxx